Caprese Bites with Pesto!
Looking for a refreshing appetizer to serve your guests this Summer? These are great for any backyard BBQ or cocktail party you’re planning to host! SO yummy and easy to make!
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 4 oz. Mozzarella cheese (do not use fresh)
- 4 slices rustic bread (i.e. Italian)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup packed basil leaves
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/4 cup romano cheese
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste if desired
- Cut cherry tomatoes in half and set aside
- Slice mozzarella cheese into 1/4″ slices then cut into but 1″ squares and set aside
- Brush both sides of bread with olive oil and crisp up by placing on a hot grill (watch and turn so they don’t burn – you just want to get some grill marks on both side) then cut into about 1 1/4″ squares and set aside
- To make pesto, place basil and pine nuts in a food processor and process until chopped fine
- Add romano cheese, garlic and cheese and process until mixed
- With blade running, drizzle olive oil slowly until it is incorporated.
- If desired, add salt and pepper to taste
- To assemble, place about a 1/2 teaspoon of pesto on bread, top with mozzarella, cherry tomato and secure with toothpick
- Serve immediately
*Recipe courtesy of Cookingonthefrontburners.com