Classic Pico De Gallo
recipe by cookieandkate.com
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 4 cups 1x
- Category: Dip
- Method: Chopped
- Cuisine: Mexican
This pico de gallo recipe is fresh, delicious and easy to make! You’ll need only 5 ingredients to make this classic Mexican dip—tomato, onion, cilantro, jalapeño and lime. Recipe yields about 4 cups (about 8 servings).
- 1 cup finely chopped white onion (about 1 small onion)
- 1 medium jalapeño or serrano pepper, ribs and seeds removed, finely chopped (decrease or omit if sensitive to spice, or add another if you love heat)
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt, more to taste
- 1 1/2 pounds ripe red tomatoes (about 8 small or 4large), chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro (about 1 bunch)
- In a medium serving bowl, combine the chopped onion, jalapeño, lime juice and salt. Let it marinate for about 5 minutes while you chop the tomatoes and cilantro.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cilantro to the bowl and stir to combine. Taste, and add more salt if the flavors don’t quite sing.
- For the best flavor, let the mixture marinate for 15 minutes or several hours in the refrigerator. Serve as a dip, or with a slotted spoon or large serving fork to avoid transferring too much watery tomato juice with your pico. Pico de gallo keeps well in the refrigerator, covered, for up to 4 days.
CHANGE IT UP: Add a diced avocado to the mixture, or see my list provided above the recipe for alternatives to tomatoes.
CILANTRO HATERS: You can significantly decrease the amount of cilantro used, or omit it completely if you insist! I don’t recommend substituting parsley here.