Sunday Potato Gateau
Courtesy of food52.com
Serves: 4 to 6
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 1 hrs
- 2 1/2pounds (1.2 kilograms) potatoes
- 4tablespoons grated Pecorino Romano
- 7tablespoons (100 grams) butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/2teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1dash freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 10 1/2ounces (300 grams) fresh mozzarella
- 3 1/2ounces (100 grams) gorgonzola or blue cheese
- 1cup (150 grams) prosciutto cotto, thinly sliced
- 3tablespoons bread crumbs
- 1tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Steam the sliced potatoes in a pressure cooker for about 6 to 7 minutes. Alternatively, you can also boil the potatoes; in this case leave them whole, so they will absorb less water.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Mash the steamed potatoes in a bowl with a potato ricer. Mix the potatoes while they are still hot with the butter, eggs, grated Pecorino, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Use a fork to make a creamy, smooth texture.
- Grease an 9 x 9-inch baking dish or oven-safe pot and sprinkle with half of the bread crumbs. Spoon half of the mashed potatoes on the bottom and flatten the surface with a spatula.
- Cover the potatoes with the prosciutto cotto and scatter the surface with pieces of mozzarella and gorgonzola. Top with the rest of the mashed potatoes, then flatten the surface with a spatula. Dust the surface with breadcrumbs, then drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.
- Bake until golden and crisp, about 45 to 50 minutes, and serve warm