Weeknight Chicken Tacos!
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon chile powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
1/2 red onion, finely diced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 lime, juiced
8 to 12 (4-inch) tortillas, flour or corn – your preference!
4 ounces queso fresco cheese, crumbled
1 avocado, sliced
extra limes for garnish
Quick Chipotle Lime Crema:
3 tablespoons greek yogurt
3/4 cup half and half
1 tablespoon adobo sauce (from a can of chipotles in adobo)
juice of half a lime zest of half a lime
1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season the chicken with the salt and pepper.
- Add the olive oil to the skillet and once it’s hot, add in the chicken.
- Brown the chicken on both sides, about 2 minutes per side.
- Cover the skillet and place it in the oven, roasting for 20 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine the cumin, paprika, chili powders, garlic powder and onion power in a bowl. Set aside.
- While the chicken is cooking, combine the diced onion, tomatoes and cilantro in a bowl with the juice of the lime.
- Add a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the yogurt, half and half, adobo, lime juice and zest and salt, whisking well to combine. Set aside.
- As soon as the chicken is finished cooking, add it to the bowl of your electric mixer, or a bowl that you can use a hand mixer with. If you used the chicken thighs, there will be juices in the pan – leave them in the pan and do not discard them because we will use them!
- Turn the mixer on to low speed for a few seconds to break up the chicken.
- Add in the spices that you mixer before and mix the chicken on low speed for a full minute or two to completely shred it and mix with the spices.
- Transfer the spiced chicken back to the pan with the juices and toss it well, incorporating the juice. This is how the chicken will stay moist (no – we can’t use another word)!
- To assemble the tacos, place the chicken in a tortilla and top with the quick salsa, the crumbled cheese and a drizzle of the crema.
- Serve with avocado on the side or on top and a fresh squeeze of lime.
*Recipe courtesy of How Sweet Eats – https://www.howsweeteats.com/2015/04/easy-weeknight-chicken-tacos/